During the same week I made my first three Scout Tees and my Archer, I realised I had just enough of a fabric to make a cami top. The weather was getting warmer (finally) so it seemed like a good idea. The fabric was a cotton designed by Kaffe Fasset. I think it was a quilting cotton as it was quite stiff but I’m not sure. I initially used the fabric to make a Cynthia Rowley for Simplicity one-shoulder dress for my friend’s 18th in 2012. Her theme was purple and there were very few purple dresses ready to buy and with the proportion of female guests to purple dresses, I decided to make my own rather than wear the same as a friend. The black with purple dots was my spin on the theme and I loved it, adding a purple ribbon belt too. I had little fabric remaining, but just enough to make a top.
I traced a favourite cami of mine, from H&M this summer. The original was in knit fabric so I increased the seam allowances a little to compensate for the woven fabric and luckily it need up fitting perfectly around the bust. I also made bias binding to neaten the neckline and the top edge all the way from the back, through underarms up to the crossover straps at the back. I also did a machine-rolled hem as I didn’t want to loose any length and the fabric was thin enough.
I wish I’d traced this onto paper so I had a copy of exactly what I did but I’ll just have to estimate. I also want to raise the front and make it straight rather than a V. This was a really simple project and only took a few hours, despite having to make the bias binding etc. It was brilliant!
Pattern: Traced from existing cami top
Materials: Stash cotton by Kaffe Fasset from C&H Fabrics circa 2012.
Sizing/Adjustments: Original was UK 10. Would raise neckline next time.
Cost: £0 Fabric from stash – no idea how much it cost originally. Thread left over from Archer button-down.